Thursday, January 23, 2014

Fun Busy Week



Last weekend I attended a guild workshop on wool applique by Jill Buckley. This class was all about working with wool on cotton and embellishing using embroidery stitches and by adding beads, buttons and found objects, like a cool chain belt from the 70's. I could only stay for the morning because I had a party to go to.  This is what I was able to accomplish before I had to go....



It was a super workshop - thank you Jill! I will be working on this project over the next few weeks and hope to show some progress soon. My friends at Quilt as Desired and The Cozy Quilter both attended the full workshop. See what they did with their projects by clicking on their respective links.

The party was a very important one. 

It was my husband's and daughters' birthdays this week! Look closely at the picture and you will see how old they were turning. It was a big one for someone! 
It was great being together to celebrate!

Once the weekend was over, I finished my basket quilt. One of the quilters at Beaver Island Quilt Retreat showed me how to make this cute little basket block. I set them in a "streak of lightning' and , in  liberated fashion, chopped off the tops and bottoms.


Here are some close ups...

For fun, I added some random blocks, like the churn dash...


...and the shoe-fly...


...and a wee westie for our Daisy & Piper.


Kay at the retreat kindly gave me some vintage feedsack material to make this beauty.


Liberated Stars finished off the corners. The final destiny for this quilt is not yet determined. It will start out as a wall-hanging but may end up as a baby quilt. Time will tell.

Up next: Lazy Sunday Mystery! Green Borders are on. Purple are ready to go. I have a feeling that will be challenge!




2 comments:

Cathi said...

Love the added interest with the other blocks put in at random spots in your pretty basket quilt.

Balmoral Quilter said...

Thanks Cathi! I will look forward to seeing what you end up doing with your baskets!