Sunday, March 22, 2015

Slow Sunday Stitching


I've been taking some courses at college, so last week my eyes were looking at books and not fabric. By Friday night, the paper had been written and the midterm taken so I rewarded myself with a little sewing! In fact it has turned into a bit of a buffet! The first thing I did was finish off this feather pillow. The bright colours give me a lift, reminding me that summer is just around the corner!



I made a bit of progress on  the woolen flower basket table mat. It is a bit of a task stitching around the flowers - they are quite small. 





Then I decided to try something new. I had in my stash a panel of  12 woodland animals. They have been there for several years waiting to be put into a quilt. Finally, inspired by a pattern I saw on Pinterest, I adapted the size to fit my animal blocks. Again, my math skills were put to use! Once pieced the new block turned out to be 24.5 inches. Multiplied by 12 plus sashing, this quilt was going to be BIG! So I decided that I will make TWO lap-sized quilts instead or maybe a baby play mat and a wall-hanging. I will see where this leads me. I am trying to use just stash, so they will all  have a scrappy happy feel!





Lastly, I'm including a quilt that I made last fall for a new family member, Baby Natalia. The pattern was featured in Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting magazine last summer. I changed up the colour scheme and added one Kaffe Fassett print in the star and for the binding. I machine quilted it using organic straight line quilting. Cozy flannel is on the back.



I'm linking up today with Kathy's Slow Stitching Sunday.

10 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Wonderful projects. I love the pillow! You may even get that handwork project done in time for Easter!

Quiltsmiles said...

Beautiful projects. Will be checking out more of your projects.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh that wool project looks so wonderful! What a great baby quilt! I love everything about it!

audrey said...

Love those woolen flowers especially! Fun pillow too.:)

Quilter Kathy said...

Lovely projects to distract you from school work!
Especially the pretty flower basket.. enjoy!

Deanna W said...

The baby quilt is very striking! I also have the pattern for the feathers. My guild did a day of modern quilting and I though the feathers on a plain backing looked very modern!

Paula said...

I love your wool project, those flowers are beautiful!

Cathy said...

Summer...... what is summer?? Oh, I remember..... it's when you can sit outside in that chair in that lovely spot in your header picture. A cup of coffee, warm breezes, birds singing........ In the meantime, looking at bright pillows and wool flowers will have to act as the reminders. And yours do a very good job of it. :-)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

What fabulous projects - excellent reward for finishing some of your school assignments. I can't wait to see how the woodland creatures project(s) turn out.

Kate said...

I love your woolen flower basket!!