Sunday, January 11, 2015

What I've been up to ......

I've been away for awhile...and this is why. In August I decided to go back to school to update my clinical skills. Crazy, right? As if life werent crazy enough! It went well, and I've signed up for a second semester so on we go!

I got in a little bit of sewing and  will update you over a few posts.
Back in September we had a new addition to our family. A little niece named Harper. I made this birdie quilt for her. The pattern came from Quilters Newsletter "Best Quilts for Kids 2011".
The fabric all came from stash. Harper's mom grew up in the country and has a fondness for John Deer - so the green, yellow, and brown were a hit!




This close-up below shows the birds and the quilting.
My friend Gail at The Cozy Quilter lent me her Accuquilt die to make the birds and branches. They were appliqued by machine on to the quilt top.
I did organic style quilting with green thread. I like how the quilting gives texture to the brown tree trunks.


Here is a close up of the flannel backing. I used left over blocks and birds and inserted them as a strip between two pieces of flannel.





This is Harper enjoying her quilt. It was a pleasure making a quilt for this little darling!








1 comment:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Harper looks very happy with her quilt!